In the last 5 years, the booming Bridemaid Box concept has seen the notion of the ‘Bridesmaid Gift’ be a top trending item in Australian Weddings.
We surveyed over 100 Australian Brides and asked them if they purchased a gift for their Bridesmaids, how much they spent and what the gift contained.
The results will surprise you!
Let’s get into it! When it came to the first question ‘did you buy your bridesmaids a gift’ it was an outstanding yes from 95% of brides. The remaining 5% consisted of brides who actually did also ‘spend money’ on their bridesmaids, but didn’t consider it a gift. Only 2% of brides didn’t purchase any form or gift or spent money on their bridesmaids.
So what did these gifts consist of and how much money are brides spending on the ladies (and gents!) who are with them on their big day?
Glad you asked, because we did too! Before we get into the nitty gritty of gift giving, what was interesting to note, is that in this survey we also asked brides who paid for the bridesmaid dresses. We were expecting this to be swayed in the way of the bridesmaid, following the old traditional notion of the bridesmaid pays, however astonishingly, 90% of brides had purchased their bridesmaids dresses and these gifts we are about to talk about were in addition to the dresses!
The amount that was spent on the bridesmaid gift varied from $50 to $500 with the average being around $150 on the gift.
Traditional gifts like alcohol and candles were out, instead replaced with usable and practicable items like Bridesmaid robes used for pre wedding getting ready photos, make up kits that the bridesmaids can use on the day to touch up and other wearable items that went with the bridesmaid dresses: earrings, clutches and shoes. Other popular items were pamper items like body scrubs and face masks. Forming a part of the gift amount was in many cases the bride paying for the hair and makeup on the day of the wedding.
On average, it was an astonishing average of $500 per bridesmaid that brides were spending.
Once you factor in dresses, gifts and hair and makeup you can easily see how it creeps up! It is a good idea to have this figure in the back of your mind when deciding on your wedding budget as it can quickly escalate into the thousands the more bridesmaids you have.
The survey also captured numbers for bridal parties and the reasons brides were spending the amount they did on their bridesmaids.
While smaller weddings may have had the spotlight for a while, the big wedding is well and truly back with the average amount of bridesmaids accompanying the bride on the day she says ‘I do’ was 4.
Reasons brides stated for spending money on their bridesmaids included ‘I don’t expect them to be out of pocket’ ‘We had a location wedding so people already had spent money on travel and accommodation’ ‘I want them to enjoy the day and not be stressed about money’ ‘I wanted a specific bridesmaid dress that they probably would never wear again so didn’t expect them to buy that’.
So with that in mind, how will you decide who pays for what and what gifts to buy for your bridesmaids?
That is a very personal evaluation and only one you can work out!
But the advice we would give you is:
Don’t try to compete with others, it is your day and your bridesmaids are people who are over the moon to be apart of your special day and they don’t accept the offer of being a bridesmaid with any expectations of who pays for what. So don’t stress yourself over it! Stick to your budget, don’t over commit and just have honest and open communication with your bridal party to ensure everyone is on the same page. It will make for a smooth and enjoyable time for all!